Monday, July 28, 2008

Video Game Review: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)

Ok, here's the first of, hopefully, many video game reviews. And since I'm "PO" (or poor) they will most likely always be old games that you've already played, but if you don't like it, go and read IGN or something!

So, I've been playing Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Tactical Espionage Action (Which shall now be referred to as just MGS4). I've played through 3/4 of the game, and I've had it since mid June. I think that's pretty good considering I have 1-month-old baby in the house.


Thus far, I've really enjoyed this game. The graphics are superb, the voice acting is magnificent, the difficulty (on default setting) is just about right, and the story is fantastic! The only problem... cut scenes. There is a cut scene in this game for about every 10 minutes of actual game-play. Some of these can get quite lengthy. Up to an hour or more when you get one after the other. This can be a problem if you are like me and get sort of itchy waiting for a chance to make something go "BOOM".

Why are there so many cut scenes, you might ask? Because Metal Gear has a very complex, convoluted story. That is to be expected from developer Hideo Kojima. He has been the developer behind every major MGS game in the series, and he has left a lot of questions to be answered. In this final game of the series (they always say it's the final game) He supposedly answers any question that fans of the games may have. I'm not going to get into any specifics for fear of ruining this game for any fans, but it does answer all question and in great DETAIL.

In the game, you play as a soldier named Solid Snake, who has been sent to the Middle East sometime in the near future to hunt down his rival, Liquid Ocelot (I kid you not with the names!). During the course of the game you will be forced to deal with two armies that are fighting against one another. You are not particularly concerned with helping either side, but you must pick your way through the battles to reach your objective. In previous Metal Gear titles, you had to sneak your way through levels, but in this one, you have a choice, you may sneak through the levels, and if you do, you will be rewarded with extra items and weapons. You can also choose to just Kill everything, which is a nice change of pace for a MGS game. Either way, the story will eventually unfold, and the plot with thicken giving you the whole "me against the world mentality".

You may be wondering if you need to have played the first 3 MGS games to enjoy this final installment, but I would think that it's not necessary. I have played MGS1 and MGS2; I didn't bother playing 3, and don't really feel like I've missed anything important. I would say that if you are already a fan of the series and the unique style of game play, you will definitely enjoy this title. However,
if you have never played a MGS title, I would recommend you rent this before buying. At the least, play through MGS1. It was originally made for the PS1, and it's is one of the best games that I have ever played. That being said, I do not usually play games for the story. RPGs annoy the heck out of me (sorry Juan Loco), but this style of game is unique, and should definitely be given a try.

No comments: